For us at British Learning Academy safeguarding young people aged 8-17 is fundamental. We look after children’s welfare in every way in order to promote all aspects of their safety and well-being throughout their time with us, including travel to and from the school on arrival and departure.
This duty of care applies to all members of staff and any other adults associated with the children, be they at the school, on an activity, on an excursion or travelling to or from the school.
TO ENSURE THE WELFARE OF OUR STUDENTS WE, AT BLA;
– Have an Employee Handbook and Staff Code of Conduct. The ‘Staff Code of Conduct’ explains the expected standard of behaviour from all members of staff while working at BLA;
– Ensure all members of staff are aware of their Safeguarding and Child Protection responsibilities;
– Have a ‘Student Code of Conduct’ for in and out of the school, on social events organised by the school or in accommodation provided by the school. The ‘Student Code of Conduct’ explains the expected standard of behaviour from all students while enrolled at BLA;
– Make sure all staff undergo appropriate background and safeguarding checks;
– Have a dedicated Safeguarding and Welfare Team;
– Work with group leaders to ensure their students have a safe and enjoyable stay, taking full responsibility for students when they are in lessons and on scheduled activities;
– Assist group leaders to ensure students’ safety and care outside of scheduled activities and during excursions;
– Have staff available 24 hours a day for any issue that may arise;
– Have a 24 hour emergency number for partner agents, parents and students;
– Give students a lanyard to be worn at all times, containing the school’s and the emergency services’ contact information;
– Appoint a member of BLA staff who will act as individuals’ group leader and point of reference at all times.
More detailed information about each of our policies and procedures with regards to safeguarding is available upon request on our Operations and safeguarding handbook.